Dieter Rams’ 10 principles for good design:
• Good design is innovative.
• Good design makes a product useful.
• Good design is aesthetic.
• Good design helps us to understand a product.
• Good design is unobtrusive.
• Good design is honest.
• Good design is durable.
• Good design is consequent to the last detail.
• Good design is concerned with the environment.
• Good design is as little design as possible.
So … who is Dieter Rams? (1932-present)
He was the Head of Design at BRAUN for nearly thirty years, his coffee makers, calculators, radios, audio and visual equipment, office products and consumer appliance designs set new standards and the surviving pieces of that generation live in museums all over the world. Many who have studied his life work claim that Apple continues to retro fit things that he had created a half century ago, but Rams says Apple is one of the few companies designing products according to his principles.
For a thorough read … “Dieter Rams: As Little Design as Possible” (Phaidon) by design historian Sophie Lovell http://www.amazon.com/Dieter-Rams-Little-Design-Possible/dp/0714849189
Thanks for the clean lines Dieter Rams!
We know Steve Jobs appreciated you.